Wednesday, October 7, 2009

NYC Wine & Food Festival




The New York City Wine and Food Festival is an annual event that has just recently moved to New York as of last year. I attended the event last year and had a fabulous time! The festival this year is this Sunday and I couldn't be more excited!


The Wine and Food Festival is hosted by and benefits the Food Bank for New York City and the Share Our Strength Foundation. One hundred percent of the proceeds directly benefit these foundations. There is also an auction held during the festival that give people a chance to bid on amazing dining packages, exciting getaways, and many other luxury items. Throughout the festival, there are over 80 events that are held throughout the Meatpacking District and beyond. The events range from walk-around tastings, to educational food and wine seminars hosted by Food Network stars, to interactive cooking experiences, and more.


Some of the people that I am most interested in meeting are Paula Deen, Rachael Ray, Bobby Flay, Giada de Laurentis, and Guy Fieri. Last year I met Mario Batali and Alex Guarnaschelli. I love watching the Food Network. It is constantly on in my house, however I don't really cook. This may sound unusal, but I really enjoy the entertainment. I like to watch all the cooking shows and challenges. It's quite informational. I've learned some tips and tricks that I do use whenever I do cook.


If you love food and wine, this is the place to be! It's never too late to buy tickets! Maybe I'll see you there :)



Vocabulary Review

Annual: (adjective) occurring or returning once a year; yearly
Host: (noun) a person, place, or company that provides services, resources, etc., as for an event
Proceeds: (noun) the profits or returns from a sale, investment, etc.
Benefit: (noun) something that is advantageous or good
Auction: (noun) a publicly held sale at which property or goods are sold to the highest bidder
Unusual: (adjective) not usual, common, or ordinary

Vocabulary Practice
1. We will be holding a special charity _________ hosted by eBay in order to sell all of our items.
2. Michelle was the _______ of the party, who coordinated all of the food and activities.
3. The ________ carnival happens every year and it is always a good time!
4. There was an ___________ looking cat outside with 5 legs and 3 eyes.
5. All of the __________ from the event go to a foundation that helps the homeless.
6. Mary would ___________ from eating healthier foods.

Grammar Point - Nouns

A noun is a word used to name a person, place, thing, or abstract idea. For example, I used a variety of nouns in my blog to do just this.
Practice: Can you find all the other nouns I used in the blog, besides the ones listed in the vocbulary review?

Questions

Do you like the Food Network?
Do you enjoy learning about food and wine?
Have you ever attended this event?

3 comments:

  1. Do I like the food network!? Ha!

    Top Chef (on Bravo) and Iron Chef America are two of my new favorite shows!

    If you met Mario Batali last year, and you meet Bobby Flay this year, you will have met 1/2 of the current Iron Chefs!! WOW!!

    PS. Throw in Alton Brown and I will be super jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great entry. This event sounds like something I would love to attend. I, as well, am a sucker for the cooking shows and the Food Network in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not take a cooking course? You have quite an impressive interest in cooking.

    ReplyDelete