Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Rain, Rain, Go Away


This morning my alarm clock went off, bright and early as usual. I hit the snooze button because I was just not quite ready to get out of bed yet. I laid there listening to the sound of the rain against my window and I curled up under my blankets. My room was cold and everything was dark and gloomy. The last thing I wanted to do was get out of bed. My ten minutes of snooze felt like 30 seconds and it was time to get out of bed. I'm pretty sure I slept walked through my morning routine. I left my house a half hour late for work and was stuck in traffic for about an hour. Most people forget how to drive when it is raining and I'm surely not happy about it. Now I am sitting here at my desk, eating soup and wearing a giant sweater. I am tired and yet for some reason sad today. Why is it that the rain does that to people? The only thing that I want to do today is stay in bed, but the show must go on. I just wish the sun was shining and I was smiling so that this day would go by a bit faster. I wish I was outside on a beautiful fall day pumpkin picking or riding my bike. That would really make the day enjoyable. So, rain, rain, please go away, come again some other day, all Jen wants to do is play!
Check out this silly YouTube clip I found. I think you might enjoy this!



Vocabulary Review
Gloomy: (adjective) dark or dim
Routine: (noun) a regular course of procedure
Traffic: (noun) the movement of vehicles, ships, persons, etc in an area
Reason: (noun) logic; premise of an argument
Shining: (adjective) radiant; gleaming; bright
Enjoyable: (adjective) capable of giving joy or pleasure

Vocabulary Practice
1. There was heavy __________ on the parkway this morning.
2. I would not talk to my brother for my own certain _________.
3. You could tell a storm was coming just by looking up at the _________ sky.
4. The sun was ________ in my eyes when I was driving.
5. The park was very ________ today because all of my friends were there.
6. My sister and I share a bathroom, therefore we set up a morning ________ so that we do not get in each other's way.

Grammar Point - Adjectives that describe the weather
An adjective is a word that modifies a noun or a pronoun. It is a word that provides more information about another word. This can be used to describe weather.
Example: gloomy and shining
Practice: Can you come up with 15 words that describe weather?

Questions
What is your favorite type of weather?
How do you feel when it rains?
What is your idea of a perfect day in the form of weather?

1 comment:

  1. I love the word "gloomy" but not the emotion or the weather. I just loved that video. It's great for an ESL class.

    ReplyDelete